You can do a consent order for custody giving you custody of your stepson and allowing you to enroll him in school.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My husband and I have had custody of his two sons for three years. Husband does an idiot thing and ends up in jail. Biological mother picks them up in January 2008 and moves them to different county. They are 15 and 16 years of age, and she does not put them in school. The oldest one now has permission from mother to come and live with me (stepmother).

Question is what is the quickest way to get paperwork for temporary custody so I can get his back in school in September? I have 50 different answers from courts, SS, CPS, etc. My understanding is that is NO guardianship in NC. What do I do so that my step-son can finish high school in Wake County?? Thanks in advance!