Support for spouse

YOu may be able to deduct these from your property settlement, unless you owed her a duty of spousal support. If she does not work it sounds like you might have. You should consult with an attorney and review your entire financial situation, that will give you a better idea of your rights and obligations.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My spouse left the home 7 years ago and moved to Georgia. I have been sending her $1,000, per month for the last 7 years for support. She does not work but can. Can I deduct this support for the last 7 years from the settlement. She abanded the home with animals that died. I was working out of the country and came home to find all this.

thank you