Support for "step" child


My child was born after my husband and I resided together (although we were not married until several years later), he was there when he was born, and has been his Dad in every way, and supported said child and myself financially for the last 11 years completely as I have not worked during this time. Does my son have any right to child support? We were married in New York where I believe that he may have. There are no other children.


Step-parents aren’t generally liable for child support in the absence of a contract for support or adoption.


Would I be correct in assuming that not having any child support payments would increase the amount of Alimony ordered? How close in numbers to your combined calculator do you find alimony is generally awarded?


Why should you get alimony? Can’t you work for yourself?


Not necessarily. It depends on the overall income/expenses ratio of your STBX as to what alimony would be order, plus a myriad of other factors. If your STBX has very little leftover after paying for housing, car payments, food, etc, you could conceivably not get a dime. I wouldn’t rely upon alimony, as the determinations are highly subjective. The calculator is intended to only give a ballpark figure as to what is a possible range.


It may be difficult for me to find work in this hiring environment after having been at stay at home mom for all these years at the behest of my husband, and I did not come to this forum to get replies from anyone other than a lawyer since I am writing this post in the “Attorney will Respond” section of the forum. Please do not speak with hatred toward me because I asked a simple legal question.


Child Support could effect Alimony as in to reduce it, because Alimony is based on the supporting spouse’s ability to pay. Alimony article on Rosen’s website covers other details of alimony which you may quality for. If there is not fault or another bar to alimony, and he is the supporting spouse and has ability to pay it would basically balance your income with his for the next 5.5 years (half of 11yrs of marriage) although there is not a set formula and judges vary a lot, you would have your earning power taken into account for your income, which would vary depending on your education. It maybe would help you if you started looking for work, applying for jobs and documenting that you are seeking employment.