Supported spouse during bankruptcy

Married 3 years ago. Third marriage for both of us. He had 2 kids and I have 3. I supported my spouse, his kids and mine during his bankruptcy. His take home pay during the bankruptcy was less than 300. Technically he makes twice as much as me, but couldn’t contribute to household finances due to his bankruptcy. Now that we’re separated and he’s out of bankruptcy. Supporting everyone completely depleted my savings and credit. Now I am starting over with nothing and he has a clean slate. I would pile to sue for alimony, QDRO, health benefits and legal costs. Am I entitled to that? I’ve heard there’s is such a thing as "restitution " or “bridging the gap alimony”.

You may be able to recoup some of this in equitable distribution as a distributional factor for an unequal division. For alimony purposes, it sounds like during the marriage you were the supporting spouse and he was the dependent. Alimony is based on the classification of a supporting spouse and a dependent spouse, not solely on income discrepancy.

You would be entitled to file a complaint for equitable distribution (which would include division of retirement assets) and possibly alimony although it doesn’t sound like you have a strong claim. If you do file for alimony, you would be able to also ask for attorney’s fees.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.