Tax Filing Status

I am currently researching a response to your question and I will post a reply tomorrow.

Helena M. Toft
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thanks for working on this. I was wondering if you were able to find an answer to this question? My (separated) husband and I were wondering how to deal with this so we can file our taxes and be done with the issue ASAP.

Me. I have been separated since April 30, 2004. I need an answer too. ASAP.

Don’t mean to butt in, but I separated from my ex in July 2004 and just finished filing my taxes because of trying to get financial aid for my daughter graduating high school and wanting to go to college. Because we lived together for more than 6 months out of the year, I could not file Head of Household which would have gotten me a rather large refund back from the IRS. Instead I had to file married filing separately and am getting back $300 on one and having to pay $50 on the other…should have kicked the bum out in June instead of July.

Thank you for the information. I finally called H&R Block, and they were able to help me answer my questions over the phone. If you have filing questions, I suggest you call them–they were very helpful and very friendly.

Dear all:

Remember that a post must remain in order for us to get to it quickly. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

What is the law regarding filing for taxes? My husband and I separated on June 30, 2004. Are we required to file as “married filed separately” or can we file as two separate individuals?

Any information you could give me would be very helpful–the federal IRS and the NC IRS website were not helpful. Thank you very much.