I separated from my ex in October 2011. Divorced November 2012. I recently had to pay over $2000 in taxes because apparently they weren’t paid. And they were from 2009 and 2012. I realize 2012 is my responsibility because we were separated. However, the 2009 taxes are from when we were still married. I had to pay the bill in order to avoid my wages being garnished. Since my ex and I filed joint throughout our marriage and we were still together in 2009, do I have any legal recourse for getting him to pay me back for part of those taxes?

Thank you

Do you have a court order or separation agreement that addresses your Equitable Distribution? Does either document state how to handle future deficiencies or other tax related issues? Technically a portion of these taxes may be considered marital, however the language in the court order or agreement will control.