Termination of child support


Dear frazier1959:

Greetings. Wow!

  1. No, emancipation is something else.
  2. No, but you can file for termination based on the rest of your facts.
  3. Yes, more than likely, but try to contact child support enforcement first if you are paying through them. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


My 17 year old child, who will turn 18 and graduate from high school in June 06,is now 7 months pregnant and married. She still lives with her mother because her husband in in training in the military and she is finishing High School. I just found out this information last week. I have three questions.

  1. Has my child reached emansipation in the state of NC?
  2. Can I file for termination of Child support based on emancipation?
  3. Do I need an attorney to assist with the termination?

John Frazier