Trying to file in court to relieve ex husband of child support arears


I am trying to find out what to do to be able to forgive my ex husband, the father of my daughter, of the past due child support he owes. He would still pay the monthly amount, I just want to forgive the arears is all. I went to the court house and they sent me to child support and I went to child support and they said they can not help me with telling me what I have to file to get into child support court to have the arears forgivin, apparently they used to give legal advise to custodial parents and one person ruined it for us all because they will not under no circumstances give anything that could be taken as legal advise because the worker would lose her job if she does, so I am trying to find out what the motion I file is called and what do I do. Please help, if anyone has any advise I would greatly appreciate it. I need to get this done for him asap, he has a medical issue and is trying to file his taxes and use his return to take care of his medical issues, and I don’t financially need the past due amount because I do well financially myself without it.


You need to file a motion to modify child support and include as your reason for the request that you want to forgive all arrears. It will ultimately be up to the judge whether or not to allow this.

A child support motion to modify is a pre-printed form: CV-600.

The child support enforcement office can help you do this only if you have a child support case with them.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.