Vehicle with JTW -spouse not on title

I bought a vehicle which my mom is also on the loan for. She is listed as “Borrower 1” and I am listed as “borrower 2”. Our NC title and registration has my moms name followed by JTW and then mine followed by JTW. My question is, does my wife have a stake in the vehicle or is it just a portion of the value? So if the property belongs to my mom 50% and myself 50%. Does my spouse have the right to go after half of my 50% or all of it??!
Thanks

Under this scenario, your wife would have a 25% interest in the value of the vehicle assuming the vehicle was purchased during the marriage (one-half of your 50% interest). There could be arguments that the entire value of the vehicle is marital property if the vehicle was purchased with marital funds and the loan has been paid exclusively with funds earned during the marriage and your mother has not contributed financially to the vehicle or the loan and was merely acting as a co-signer.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.