Wanting to file divorce papers


My ex and I have been living in separate homes since August 2015. Unfortunately in July 2016 we tried to see if it worked but never moved in back together, we spent some time together with our child and some time alone as a couple. In August 2016 we decided to stop trying because it was not working. Could I file the papers now or because of we tried I will need to wait for a year since last time we were together? Even thought we lived in different places and it was never official or consistent.


You can file for absolute divorce now since you have lived continuously separate and apart for at least one year and that you have not cohabitated during that period.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.