What can I do

Dear MargC:

Greetings. I am sorry that you have not received any good options yet. Sometimes, the only options open to someone are bad options, but making a decision and pushing forward with some action usually produces some good options.

First, contact North Carolina Child Support Enforcement and file a claim for child support. They can locate him. Also, you can file an action for equitable distribution and do a motion for interim distribution asking the court to allow you to sell the marital residence and forcing your spouse to come and sign the deed. The court can vest him of title if he does not sign.

The equitable distribution action will also help to determine liability for marital debts. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband left - there is no separation agreement. 2 children - 2 cars in both names - he has 1 I have 1. House is in both names. I have talked with 2 attorneys and both tell me I have no good options. Social Services has a potential address but can’t share with me. How can I find him. What if any legal rights do I have related to selling the house- which I can’t afford? He is on my medical insurance and I am told I can’t drop and that I can be liable for any expenses until a divorce is final. I feel like all laws are protecting him. Is there anyway to make him responsible these joint debts or at least give me the ability to try and sell the house?

Margaret Cockerell