What do I do?

Dear soulshine:

Legitimizing your child cannot be done in the divorce. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Thank you for the reply
[?] What then would the process be to lagitimize a child born in a seperation?

Sincerly, Soulshine

Dear soulshine:

Greetings. To legitimize an illegitimate (the legal term) child, the father may file a verified written petition with the special proceedings division of the superior court where he lives or where the child lives. He must include the names of the mother and child in the petition and include them as parties to the action. You have to attach a certified copy of the birth certificate to the petition.

The law also allows for legitimation by subsequent marriage of the parties after the birth of an illegitimate child. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

[:)]Hello again and thank-you again for the light at the end of the tunnel you have provided with this website.

My ex-to-be and I have a child together. When my ex-to-be and I seperated in 2002, I moved on and met and fell in love with another man to whom I let move in with me.(don’t worry my ex-to-be had someone else to keep him warm at night before we separated!?)Any-hoo, In July of 2002 I became pregnant with my boyfriend’s child. About Oct. of 2002 I asked my ex-to-be for a divorce, he in turn brushed me off. Now it is 2004 and he wants a divorce because he got his girlfriend(yes the same one he was involved with before we were seperated)preganant. Therefore he is giving me no problems with the divorce

When my child second child was born by law I could not put the biological father on the birth certificate. It reads “REFUSED” where the father should be because there was no way I was putting my ex-to-be on the birth certificate.

[?]What would be the precedure to lagitamize my second child?
Is there any way it can be done in the divorce?
thanks soulshine