What happens when one child ages out of cs in split custody?

Me and my ex have 2 children. One lives with me, and one lives with her. The one that lives with me will be aging out of child support this spring when he graduates from high school. I re-ran the child support calculator and just entered that we had one child (instead of 2) and the per month amount I am supposed to be paying her went up quite a bit, almost double. Is that right? Our sep agreement just states that the amount to be paid will be according to the NC child support guidelines. How should we be doing this calculation?

Thanks,

RH

The child support guidelines are pretty rigid, and as long as you entered the information correctly the output should be correct. If your agreement outlines how the support should be calculated then that’s pretty much it. If you went to court they would follow the guidelines. If you were to pay for your older child’s college then you could argue for a deviation from the guidelines.

respond to Mr. short’s comment. [i] If you were to pay for your older child’s college then you could argue for a deviation from the guidelines.

Is that something that you have seen done? does the court give some credit to a parent who has been helping a chld with college costs? I mean this is in addition to the child filing for financial aid and working and even saving costs by going to a state school. THings like car insurance, health insurance etc and some of the extras are hard for a college kid to pay and not come out of college with $$$$debt.

thanks