What Happens with child support when child moves

My question revolves around child support when a child moves with non custodial parent. If a child, over the age of 16, moves with the non custodial parent with the approval of the custodial parent, does child support obligation end after 30 days of permanent change of residence of the child?

No. The child support obligation generally does not terminate until a child is 18 years old and has graduated from high school.

In your case, assuming you have a court order for child support, the noncustodial parent would be required to keep paying the custodial parent pursuant to the court order until the court order was modified because the child changed residences.

If your child support terms are in a separation agreement, then both parents would need to amend the terms to state the new child support responsibilities when the child changes residences.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.