What is considered in Debt

I would think that the total amount would be included and divided. It’s a valid debt and even though it’s from a relative who is deceased, it is still debt. That there was an agreement signed makes at the very least the $6000 valid, especially if your father kept documentation of all money borrowed.
Your ex probably believes that your mother will be giving you this money and does not feel that he should have to pay since it’s a deceased relative…
I believe that if your mother puts a lien on the home it will also affect you finacially, since ED is not resolved.

My husband’s ex mother-in-law asked him to repay the loan that was given to both of them. He did not see the point of arguing about his stbx paying back half, so when he did pay it back, she turned around and gave it to her daughter, his ex, so that she could afford to take him to court…

Loans from family members can be included as marital debt, the court considers these on a case by case basis.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

ROSEN.COM

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My stbx and I are arguing over debt in order to figure out equity. I borrowed funds from my parents. My father had both of us sign an agreement that we agreed to pay the debt back to him/or his estate The amount ws $6000. Then, he also showed that I had borrowed an additional $4000 over several years and again has documentation of what it was for. He shows the total debt as $10000 for Informational Purposes but we signed for the $6000. My dad is now deceased but I do still owe the debt to his estate. I say we should get to include the $10,000 as it wasused to pay for bills/living expenses when my stbx wasn’t working. The statement was not notarized but clearly, we both signed it. STBX says none of it should count. I say debt is debt…just like a credit card but no interst. How would the Court view this? Would it be better for my mom to put a lien on the house so that this debt is incorporated?