What's my next step - how do I get him to move out


Dear rockmehardplace:

Greetings. You cannot forcefully remove your spouse from the home. Even if you lock him out, he can come back in with the Sheriff or break back in himself. You can file an action for divorce from bed and board asking the court to remove him from the residence. You can always have him sign a separation agreement agreeing to move out. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have now told my spouse I want a divorce. He is essentially unemployed and neither his friends nor his family want him living with them (bad drug problem). How do I get him to move out? What options does he have for a place to live and get food? I need him to go, but I don’t want to feel like a cruel monster for booting him out into the street. What’s the best way to move him out without creating a scene?