Where do we start to get my step daughter home?

Dear davidsonstepmom:

Greetings. You will need to file in the state where the minor child lives, but of course you will be able to get visitation, if not custody. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband was never married to his child’s mother. She lied about taking the child to Ohio to visit as she got there and then notified him that she had no intention of returning and was keeping the child with her. He hasn’t seen his daughter since Mother’s day 2003 and she refuses to let him visit her much less let us know where she is.
No custody agreement was ever filed nor child support. We have tried to be part of this little girl’s life but her mother refuses to allow it. Is there anything we can do to get custody of my step daughter or at least file for visitation rights? We are in North Carolina and we believe the child’s mother is in Ohio at the moment.