Wife had an affair, resulting in preg

My wife had an affair which led to a pregnancy. We do not have separation papers filed and have only been having serious issues for about a year now. Still living together. If we decide to work out our marriage. What rights does the biological father have. We are all located in NC. Can we see this pregnancy through and keep the father away from the child legally? I wish to repair marriage and am willing to raise a child fathered by another man because of my love for family. But I want to ensure the bio father won’t interrupt if that happens

Since you and your wife were married at the time the child was conceived, you are considered the legal father. This means you would be financially responsible for the child unless and until paternity is proven otherwise (for example, in a child support case against the putative father).

The only way you could keep the biological father away from the child would be if the biological father terminated his parental rights and you adopted the child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.