Workmans com[ settlement property


Dear Ruby58:

Greetings. It depends what your actual settlement papers say the funds are for. Your spouse may be entitled to half of it. The better question is whether or not you are going to be able to get long term alimony from your spouse. My advice is to seek an attorney and have them help you now. The attorney should be able to save you money, even in light of your attorney fees. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I received a settlement for an injury. My husband took half of the money and put it in his bank account. He will not give it back. If I divorce him can i get the settlement money back! I will need it for my care. As a result of that injury I have been put on Social Security disability.