Would I need to pay alimony?

Dear rockmehardplace:

Greetings. It sounds to me like you have condoned his drug use. If he is still using the drugs, you may be able to ask the court to take into account the fact that you have supported him for the last couple of years and he is still using and therefore you don’t want to pay him any alimony and don’t believe it to be fair.

Unfortunately, I think you may have to pay him some, but if the fault is substantial we have had judges refuse alimony for drug use. Best of luck…and sorry I did not have a yes or no for you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
RosenDivorcecom
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I have been supporting my spouse for several years because he lost his professional license and thus his career due to drug use. It will be at least another year before he can petittion for his license again. He works part time when he can find work (legal problems prevent him from getting anything other than menial labor jobs). Prior to his losing his license, he made about the same salary as me. Would I need to pay him alimony upon seperation or divorce?