Please help!

A court may grant you alimony if it finds that you are substantially dependent upon your spouse. However, you need to file for alimony before the divorce is granted. It is very important that you seek an attorney’s help before the divorce.

Lisa M. Angel
Board Certified Family Law Specialist
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 781-1741 direct voice
(919) 256-1660 direct fax
(919) 787-6668 main voice
(919) 787-6361 main fax

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I’ve been married for 38 yrs, separated for 11 yrs. (I’m 66 and he’s 64 yrs old.) My husband has continued to pay the monthly rent and medical insurance since he left. He is now seeking a no fault divorce. He says that the money he has been paying for my rent each month is my alimony. Would the courts see that his way too, or would I be entitled. to more alimony. I have never asked him for anything since he left. He also has a retirement plan (which is his only income) and I know that I am entitled to one half but, I don’t quite understand. Does he give me half his check or does the company for which he worked distribute my half. Any information will be greatly appreciated