7 year old on back of motorcyle

His reponse to my concern:
Please don’t discredit me by acting like I am completely dumb. I have thoroughly researched this bike, the safety of it and it is much safer than a regular motorcycle. As I STATED several times yesterday, we will still have a family vehicle. Please remember that 4 people can not fit on a motorcycle, therefore it would only be once in a while that Ryan would be on it and it would be for short trips. There are handles on both sides for him to hold on to and he is big for 7 years old so he can grab my waist just fine. The bike is a value thing. It is something for all to enjoy.
My child’s safety and welfare ALWAYS comes first but we will not live life with a bunch of ‘what ifs’. He could just as easily be seriously hurt in an accident with you in your jeep.
In all your investigation I am surprised you did not find that NC does not have a passenger age restriction. Or are you just choosing to ignore that thinking I did no research.

If NC has no age restriction for passengers and he is wearing a helmet and following all driving regulations, I’m not sure there is much you can do…

I’m just trying to make sense of the fact that there a bill for a law protecting children from motorcycles has never been advocated?? Motorcylcles are way more dangerous than vehicles… Wow.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by stepmother[/i] [br]If NC has no age restriction for passengers and he is wearing a helmet and following all driving regulations, I'm not sure there is much you can do...

there are kids that have their own ATV’s in this area. We had a Sunday school outing for 10 yr olds and allowed them to ride on the back of ATV’s driven by adults - all involved wearing helmets.

My son’s first time on a harley was at 6 months… the first time on the highway was in kindergarden. Proper safety gear and well fitting helmets are important as is the driver behaving and following the traffic laws and road conditions. Does the father have a respectable driving history? Is he familliar with bikes? Other than the bike being ugly (in my opinion) there is no reason to object to the occasional ride.

You could try and address this issue before the court, but unless you can prove the action is inherently dangerous, it is unlikely the court will intervene.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I would check with the DVM to see if there is a N.C. law in the records about this and/or an instructer that teaches motorcycle safety at the local community college.
In Maryland, if I’m not mistaken, a childs feet must touch the foot pegs.

So far I have talked with a Seargent at the Hwy. Patrol and he said he can’t even believe a parent would put a 7 year old in that situation but there has never been a bill advocated for this type of thing. I have emailed the Leg., House, and Senate in regards to my concerns. I can understand ATV’s in a safe supervised area… But I can’t understand a 7 year old going 70+ down the freeway…

I talked to the DMV and they said that they wouldn’t recommend it at all but no law so I have no ground…

I talked to my ex and was called a ****ing ****, that I will be ruined, that he is issuing a warrant for my arrest (for being concerned… right…), that he is taking my son away and to top it off girlfriend yelling and cussing in the back ground at me…

I guess I have to take a deep breath, hope for the best and prepare for the worse and PRAY! If anyone else would mind I could use your prayers as well!

Stumped, confused and helpless!!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Baba[/i] [br]I would check with the DVM to see if there is a N.C. law in the records about this and/or an instructer that teaches motorcycle safety at the local community college. In Maryland, if I'm not mistaken, a childs feet must touch the foot pegs.

My ex just bought a Can Am Spyder Motorcyle… Although it has 3 wheels. It is a motorcyle. Is this putting our child’s safety in jeopardy. There is NO seatbelt! I’m very nervous about this whole thing. Please advise?

brp.houseofmotorcycles.com/new_v … otorcycles