A change in finances



Greetings. Well, if the court ordered you to sell the vehicle, then you should have sold it, even to an auction house, dealer, or junk yard. Now, if you did not do what the court said, then you should make a motion to modify the court order.

Typically child support is not reduced or increased to help with car payments or other typical bills. If you are paying guideline support, I cannot imagine that your child support would change simply because you sold a car and/or increased your debt. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I have temporary coustody of my 12yr son and I pay his mom child support and been ordered to sell a specific vehicles to reduce my debt, now heres the problem, the vehicle has serious problems so it won’t sell and I had to trade the other vehicle due motor malfunctioning which increased my payment by $140 because I was $8000 upside down. now should my child support be adjusted to accomodate my necessary bill.