Alcohol abuse


Please advise as to what one can legally do to stop their spouses alcohol abuse especially in the marital home. Also what affect would alcohol abuse have on child custody? If both parents were at some point abusing alcohol what period of time would have to go by when 1 is alcohol free for it to not affect the custody of the children whilst the other is still drinking?


Your question is confusing as I’m not sure why the question is raised in terms of the marital home. The court does not have any right to tell a party to an action that they cannot drink in their home. The court can tell a party that they cannot drink around a minor child or be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while he or she has custody of the minor child.

For a court to consider the alcohol use of a parent when determining child custody, you will have to show how the alcohol use impacts the child.