Alcohol and Drug Use

I am assuming based on the fact that you said you have joint legal custody that there is a previous court order in place. If that is the case the proper procedure to change it would be a file a motion to modify custody, and it certainly sounds like you have grounds to do that.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I do not know what to do. I have joint legal with my ex for our children. He has them more than I do due to my not having any legal representation at time of hearing. (my dumb mistake) My children have been speaking of him drinking alot lately. I now have physical evidence of him “partying” it up (18 beers a night on the weekends) then being hungover and passed out in bed the next morning, leaving the children (ages 7 & 5 ) unsupervised and left to fend for themselves for breakfast. The 7 year old even makes him coffee trying to get him up, and she has to take care of the 5 year old. He also has been looking for someone to buy a $30 bag of marijuana off of - he was supposed to “hook up” with someone he knew one night but they didn’t show. The children were home for this.
What can I do? Is a motion to modify all I can do? I am afraid for their safety and the environment they are in (heavy drinking & drug dealing) I knew this was going on, but this is the first time I can actually prove it. Thanks & God Bless!