Alienation of Affection Mother-in-law

Not that I am aware of, however that does not mean that is not the case. A mother in law could certainly be sued for alienation of affection.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit radio.rosen.com/live for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

You and I need to compare notes. My inlaws caused a GREAT hardship in my marriage too.

Think about it this way…

How would you prove alienation of affection against your in-laws? Possible, but you would have to have some very effective evidence that they alienated your spouse from you.

I found a letter from my mother-in-law to my husband telling him that I probably wanted to murder him, that I was a drug addict, that I was an unfit mother, and it goes on and on. From that time on I have never been to discuss anything with my husband. I believe there are several letters like this, which could be brought forward and I think they would prove my case.

Harrassed46

Well…if you couldn’t prove alienation of affection with those letters, you could certainly sue her for defamation.
From Wikipedia:
“In law, defamation (also called vilification, slander, and libel) is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image. Slander refers to a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts which arises where one person reveals information which is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person.[1] “Unlike libel or slander, truth is not a defense for invasion of privacy.”[2]
False light laws are “intended primarily to protect the plaintiff’s mental or emotional well-being.”[3] If a publication of information is false, then a tort of defamation might have occurred. If that communication is not technically false but is still misleading then a tort of false light might have occurred.[3]”

Has there ever been a court case tried showing a mother-in-laws interference has had alienation of affection?

Harrassed46