Alienation with a Twist

Has your ‘other’ left you? Or are you still married?

If you’re still married AofA would not apply, but the Criminal Conversation would. However, if you’re planning on staying with your ‘other’, I do not see the benefit of suing anyone.

In order to prove alienation of affection you must prove that you had a happy marriage and as a result of the actions of a thirty party your spouses affections were alienated from you. If you and your spouse have reconciled that generally negates any claim you might have to alienation of affection.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Here’s the situation:

My other slept with someone before we were married, but engaged. The cheating stopped before we got married, but started again with the same individual a few years after we got married. My other says they were/are in love with me. Can I go after the other person for Alienation of Affection and what proof do I need?