Alimony Arrears - Ex refuses and hasn't paid for 3 years


Hi, My ex-husband has not paid alimony for over 3 years. He moved out of state and would not give me his new address. When I emailed him, asking for my alimony, he refused to pay. Is there a time limit on filing a motion to show cause for contempt of the court order?


You have 10 years to file a contempt motion for a court order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.


Thank you for your reply