What can I do to claim alimony owed by ex husband

As a dependent spouse, I was awarded 1,800 a month in spousal support and then $1,800 in alimony for 72 months and court costs. Our divorce was final 27 August 2010. After the judgement hearing I found out that my exhusband moved to Houston Texas. My ex husband was making very minimum payments and then they stopped but never has he ever paid $1,800 at any time of either spousal support or alimony or court costs The house went into foreclosure, I had nowhere to go and ended up in MD. I was never able to afford to follow through on contempt nor could I having to leave the state with not much money. My Lawyer at the time didn’t want to garnish his wages because he didn’t want to ruin him. So I was left out in the cold with nowhere to go and now that I have finally found somewhere to live thats affordable and no longer depend on the kindness of strangers, I still have a hardship with expenses. I retired on disability from my job in 1989 and we were married in 1992. He was fully aware of my disability. The judge warned him before he left the court room that day that she could not put him in jail for not paying his bills but she would put him in jail if he did not pay me. So here we are. What can I do?


You will have to file a contempt motion (called a motion for an order to appear and show cause) against your ex-husband. You would need to register the order in the state you are currently living so that state’s courts can enforce the alimony order.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Thank you Anna. You were very helpful. I pray that I can get this issue resolved.