Dear Pookie:

Greetings. Why are you paying all her bills if she is able to work. I would immediately cut back the support you give her to an amount that takes out how much she earned previously. Her quitting her job would clearly be looked at since it was so close to the date of separation. Best of luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


I’m sure you remember my previous posts regarding my ex that is reluctant(!) to work and is wholly dependent upon the support I pay her. I am still paying her debts by the way. Prior to my asking for a divorce she worked and helped support our family, but promptly quit a very well paid job. I pay child support, but am expecting her to ask for more money. My question is how is alimony determined? Her bills are paid (by me) and I buy the kids whatever they need (in addition to child support) and cover all their health insurance(previously covered by her job).