Dear tanukie:

Greetings. If you have alimony pursuant to a separation agreement, you cannot get it garnished through his wages. If you have alimony by court order, you should be able to ask the court to have it garnished by filing a motion. I would speak to an attorney. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I hope someone can help me. I get alimony from my ex-husband. He pays me by meeting with my son and giving him the money to give to me. He is now $1,600.00 behind and I never know when he will pay me. Half the time he won’t answer his phone when I call. The question is how do I go about having the alimony taken out of his check and sent to me. Do I have to go to court or is there papers I can mail his company where he works and have this done or do I have to have a lawyer do it. Do you know how much it would cost me to have this done? I don’t know how to go about doing this. I don’t have much money for a lawyer I only get alimony. I can’t work.
Thank you tanukie