Seperation Agreement/Alimony

I have a seperation agreement,that states my ex pays me alimony. Every month it is a struggle to get him to pay, now he is 3 months behind and always gives the same story check is in the mail.

What options do I have to get this money, also can alimony be garnished?

Thanks you for your help with this?!

If your ex is in violation of the separation agreement, then you can file a breach of contract lawsuit against him. This could force him to pay you as agreed on in the separation agreement. Check out our detailed article on this issue for more information: Breach and Enforcement of Separation Agreements in North Carolina.

Alimony cannot be garnished from his wages when the obligation to pay alimony is in a separation agreement (i.e. a contract).

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.