Alimony

quote:
Originally posted by shell64
My husband and I are trying to work out a separation agreement. My husband does not feel that he should pay alimony. We were married for twenty years and together for twenty-two. We have a fourteen year old son, soon to be fifteen. He committed adultery, he was having an affair for the previous year and half before he walked out. I am a dependant spouse. His salary was three times mine at the time he walked out. My money was never an issue during the marriage. Given the duration of the marriage and the gross marital misconduct on my husband's part, does he really have a chance getting out of alimony? What is the probability of him paying alimony indefinitely? As it will take me more years than I care to think about to recover financially from everything he has done, I will end up starting over with saving for retirement, providing medical insurance for myself, the cost of a teenage driver soon.

Shell please hear me well. You will be far better off with an attorney to negotiate for you. Your husband is negotiating with only his interest in mind. His appreciation for the law is limited. The situation you described sounds as if you may be entitled to much more. And to answer your question specifically, you are probably entitled to alimony and depending on your age the duration is negotiable. Hope this helps.

Richard “Bert” Diener
Attorney
The Rosen Law Firm
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.256.1535 direct voice
919.787.6668 main voice
919.787.6361 main fax
www.rosen.com

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I are trying to work out a separation agreement.
My husband does not feel that he should pay alimony. We were married for twenty years and together for twenty-two. We have a fourteen year old son, soon to be fifteen. He committed adultery, he was having an affair for the previous year and half before he walked out. I am a dependant spouse. His salary was three times mine at the time he walked out. My money was never an issue during the marriage. Given the duration of the marriage and the gross marital misconduct on my husband’s part, does he really have a chance getting out of alimony?
What is the probability of him paying alimony indefinitely? As it will take me more years than I care to think about to recover financially from everything he has done, I will end up starting over with saving for retirement, providing medical insurance for myself, the cost of a teenage driver soon.