Alimony simply defined is money that the spouse that makes more money pays to the spouse that makes less money. The spouse that makes less money must prove that they are dependent on that money to meet their needs and expenses and must prove that the spouse that makes more money has the ability to pay support. If the party that makes more money moves out and does not provide for the spouse that makes less money, it could be considered abandonment. Alimony can be addressed at any time you have separated and the payments can begin before you are legally divorced. You can get a roommate to meet your expenses, but if you have a right to alimony I would not recommend getting a roommate of the opposite sex. You should consult with an attorney before taking in a roommate because that may affect your right to alimony.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

What is allimony? Money paid during separation only? By which party?
during the year of separation, who pays the mortgage and other expenses? One party has moved out so does this party get to walk away from all financial obligations such as mortgage etc and only pay for his new apartment expenses etc? This is a very important aspect and I never see it getting much attention, meanwhile the YEAR of separation causes financial ruin for couples because they dont’ know if there is a law or whom decides…by law can the person living in the home get a roommate to share expenses or does this have to be mutually agreed upon by both parites?