Another spousal support question

I have been the primary breadwinner for the duration of my 15 year marriage. My husband was the primary at-home parent to our 3 children who are all school age at this point. There have been promises that he would work for years and he assures me he has been looking for a job, but he has not maintained employment for more than 6 months for the duration of our marriage. His lack of employment stability is part of the reason I would like to divorce. My question is, since he is essentially unemployed (income of <$5000 last year) am I liable for the full amount of spousal support in a situation like this? Thank you for the help!

Yes, you could be responsible for full alimony since historically he has not worked much during the marriage.

However, you may have an argument that he is capable of working and is voluntarily choosing not to, and therefore he is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed. This could reduce the alimony amount or duration, but there is no guarantee.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.