Assigned an income

My wife has been a stay at home mother. She has her bachelors degree but recently started certificate program, attending 3 days per week. Will she be assigned an income?

I’m not quite sure what you are asking. Can you clarify?

My wife has been working at home for the past 10 years. She has her Bachelors degree in finance but she decided to attend CC to receive a certificate in medical billing. She attends class four days per week from 9am to 2pm. For child support and or alimony purposes would she be assessed an income?

A judge will impute income in child support cases where it is clear that one parent is intentionally unemployed or underemployed so as to reduce a child support obligation. You’d have to make the argument that she is intentionally underemployed for the purposes of altering the child support award.

With regard to alimony, a judge is going to look at several factors. The age, and relative skill of the party seeking alimony is certainly considered. The standard of living during the marriage is also a big factor. So if she worked the previous ten years, and then suddenly stopped, this evidence can be compelling to a judge in making an alimony award.