Assuming all debt

Dear Fed UP:

It sounds to me like he may be planning on filing for bankruptcy, which would mean that you would either be responsible for all the remaining debt (depending on how it is titled and created) or that you would also have to file for bankruptcy. From all your posts, he sounds like he is being slippery and conniving. My best advice all around is for you to go and see an attorney who will help you to plan for his little planned retreat from the marriage. Best of luck…and yes, everything is going to be all right in the end.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

You know, I had not even thought of him filing bankrupcy, but that makes sense. I am so glad I went to see an attorney! My attorney informed me that if I were to sign anything and then get a new place and then my ex did not pay, that I would be expected to pay for BOTH places!!! I can not do that! I am staying put! If he wants me out, he’ll need to go or we go to court! I am not afraid any longer.

Everything is gonna be alright…

It is always important to see what is going on from an attorney’s perspective. We can evaluate a situation without the emotional edge of our clients. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
NCDivorce.com
919-787-6668

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband has asked me to leave, stating that he will assume all debt and that I can walk away scott free…I have no desire to leave my marriage, but have never heard of anything like this. He doesn’t make enough money to cover our bills - hell he doesn’t pay them all now.

What in the world is this??? Is this legal? I feel like I am being forced out of my home because all of a sudden he has “tired” of me and the kids.

I need some advice…please help.

Everything is gonna be alright…