I left my husband - now he is filing bankrupcy!

Dear Fed Up:

Greetings. You may want to hire an attorney to file for equitable distribution and alimony, if applicable, as the bankruptcy court can also handle your divorce issues. My suggestion is to talk to a bankruptcy attorney and a divorce attorney. Best of luck (and sorry to hear what a jerk he is)

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 200
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

After I left, he let all the bills go…and the house that we lived in is now in foreclosure…and he is filing bankruptcy.

I have two questions: Do I need to file with him?

Also - how can I protect myself if the creditors come after me and try to force me to pay? Everything was in both names, but in our separation papers he took responsibility for all household bills.

I need help!

Everything is gonna be alright…