He won't sign and I can't afford it!

Dear rholley00:

Greetings. Yes, hire an attorney and file claims for equitable distribution and alimony. Have your family help with the attorney fees and ask for the court to make him pay those back to you. Not what you want to hear - but what I have to tell you. Good luck.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

My husband and I separated back in November. Since the separation and abandonment by him, he has only paid me for less than 2 months of bills…including about 1 month of his half of the mortgage. My Mother has had to help me with the mortgage the past few months as he has moved on with his new girlfriend and claims that he doesn’t need to pay for a place that he is not living in anymore. The problem is that I can’t afford the mortgage that WE entered into on my own. He is not paying me anything right now and if it weren’t for family my home would be foreclosed on. I have had the home on the market as a for sale by owner, but now that I am moving back home to CA I can’t show it any longer and must list it with my agent. The problem with that is that he will not call the agent to set up an appointment to sign the papers so that she can list it. That leaves me stuck paying the mortgage until he decides to AGREE to put it on the market. I feel like I am trapped. I can’t sell it…but I can’t afford it…and he just gets to go buy his new GF a $3500 ring and have the bill sent to my house. UUUGGGHHH…I don’t know what to do. Does anyone have any advice?