Not being able to afford to live in marital home

I’m sorry that things are so difficult right now, I am not sure what your specific question is.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

As I have stated earlier, I can no longer afford to live in the marital home I was awarded in equitable distribution. My income is l8%, mind you, 18% of the total marital income. My attorney charged over 200,000 and thus depleted marital assets because I was NOT REALLY awarded attorney fees! I suppose if you count the difference in divisible property, of which my ex was awarded 100% (more than 50% of the property) and then had to pay exactly half of the amount of divisible in attorney fees…oh, well. Ex has an unconfirmed income of 345,000 a year NOT counting his investments which is probably in excess of over $70,000 at the LEAST while my income is currently at 72,000 because what is left of the assets just ain’t gonna produce for some time! The bulk of what I received is in retirement of which I cannot touch until I am 59.5 and waiting for what is left of the assets, reduced by over 40%, to produce income! Advice states at LEAST 5 years! Yes, my expenses will be reduced when I move to a smaller and less expensive place because I HAVE to move! I simply have NO choice! The average income of people living in my neighborhood is 150,000 a year! I will NEVER have that much income! I receive 24,000 a year in alimony! I teach school for God’s sake! With little experience because I stayed home and raised my kids for over 20 years! And I did NOT have an affair. He did! But judge refused to hear it! Not that it would make any difference, according to what I’ve been told! Jeez! They will punish me even more because I can’t afford to live in my home! I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t! Right???