I was wondering what could happen to my former attorney. I have terminated her and made a formal grievance with the NC State Bar concerning this.
- My attorney told me she was filing a contempt of court order against my ex-wife but she did not.
- My attorney told me she was filing a child custody modifier but she did not.
- My attorney told me she subpoenaed my character witnesses for my child custody hearing but according to the clerk of court’s office, she did not.
- My attorney would not get my ex-wife to sign my house over to me after six months and repeated requests.
- My attorney did not divide my family pictures like she said she would in my equitable distribution agreement.
- My attorney would not get my satellite receiver back from my ex-wife after repeated requests.
- My attorney’s husband brought my child support agreement for me to sign while I was at work one evening. It was never explained to me and I never received a copy of this document.
- My attorney never gave me any sort of bill over a 15 month period. After I terminated her, she was still unable to give me a breakdown of her hours. But now she claims I own her one thousand dollars.
- My attorney referred me to the “bar association” to dispute her fees in the letter she sent me responding to her termination.
This was just a small part of my list that I sent to the NC State Bar. I sent all of my correspondence and court documents over 250 pages. I sent proof that my attorney lied to me and the NC State Bar Fee Dispute Resolution Program. I guess she did not think they would send me a copy of her letter. What could happen to her? I read that there were different levels of discipline up to being disbarred.