If you are dissatisfied with your current attorney you should seek a second opinion from another attorney. If you wish you change the venue you should meet with an attorney in the county where you want to transfer the case to, that attorney should give you advice on how to best handle a request to transfer venue.

A request to transfer the venue is generally a motion that is filed in the court, it will generally only be granted if neither party lives in the county where the action has been filed, or you can prove there is some other compelling reason that venue is more proper in another county. If you have already been litigating this matter it court, you may not be able to change the venue at this juncture.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

I am in the position of having to leave my divorce attorney. We have had a bad relationship from the very beginning. I have spent over $20,000 with this attorney and so far she has done the exact opposite of what I wanted done. A divorce law suit was filed by my wife 3 months after she left. This suit was filed in another county and I need a change in venue even if the suit is valid. What is the proper way to ask for this change while wanting to separate myself from her services at the same time? I do not want to burn bridges but I feel that I have been grossly misrepresented. Please help. My window of opportunity is closing and I need to make this change with as little damage to myself as possible.

Thank you