Attributed Child Support Income

I have no form of income - opposing counsel is attempting to “attribute” my income from a credit card I am authorized to use, however it is not in my name - it belongs to someone else. Can a child support amount be attributed this way?

Income can only be imputed to a parent if that parent is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed in bad faith. They key phrase is “bad faith.”

If you are voluntarily unemployed in good faith, meaning you have a good faith reason for being unemployed, then a judge could not impute income to you. If the judge finds that you are unemployed in bad faith, then it is possible to use the amount you are spending on the credit card each month as your income, or impute minimum wage for example.

Income cannot be imputed to a parent who has primary custody of a child that is under the age of 3 and child support is being calculated for that child.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.