Child Support, Imputed Income and Income from Relatives

My ex and I have a separation agreement that outlines how we handle child support. We use the calculator on Rosen’s website to calculate child support. She quit her job at the beginning of the pandemic and has been unemployed for the past 1.5 years.

She got help from her parents and lives in a condo her parents own. She recently got a new part-time job and disclosed her new income to me, but it would result in a doubling of my child support to her.

Can I impute income to her, would she get income imputed by a judge? What about financial support from her parents? Can that be considered income when it comes to child support calculations… especially if she gets regular support from them?

Income can be imputed to someone who is unemployed or underemployed in bad faith. The key to imputation is “bad faith.”

Financial help from parents or other sources does count as income to a parent for child support purposes.

Anna Ayscue

Attorney with Rosen Law Firm Cary • Chapel Hill • Durham • Raleigh • Wake Forest

Rosen Online | Unlimited confidential access to a North Carolina attorney for $199/mo - click here

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.