Back Child Support Saga


Dear TheResearcher:

Greetings. You can expect the court to review your financial affidavit, so I suggest that you complete one (this will look like a budget). You will need evidence of the expenses, like copies of your bills. Evidence of your income is also necessary. Once you have these documents, you should be able to show how all you earn goes out every month and that you are living paycheck to paycheck. If that is not the case, then pay some money before court and ask for an attorney to be appointed to you (if they have requested criminal contempt you may be able to obtain a court appointed attorney). Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Divorce
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

10925 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.


The ex has a civil judgement for back child support. The judge ordered payment by a certain date. I am unable to make the date due to medical issues and unemploymnet. CSE would not halt my CS payments due to the back child support judgement. I have since been summoned for non-compliance. I have no lawyer. Can’t afford one. What can I expect in court? Anything I can do for a more favorable outcome?