Contempt of court charges

If you are pro se and being subject to contempt you will receive court appointed counsel if you financially qualify.

If you are behind on child support it is possible the Judge can put you in jail and leave you there until the payments are current, you need to do everything you can to bring those payments current before court. If you have not had your son around your fiance you need to bring to the court as much evidence as you can to prove that is not the case.

You could try bringing up evidence that your ex is retaliating against you, but the court is generally only interested in evidence related to the allegations in his motion to show cause.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

in the past week, my ex has brought two contempt complaints up against me, the first is failure to pay child support…he is saying he has not recieved any, but even though I can’t pat the complete amount, I have always mailed from atleast 1/3 to 1/5 of my bi weekly take home pay to the child support enforcement…

the other thing is that he is saying that my fiancee has been around my kids, we have a temporary custody/visitation agreeement, that specifiaclly says that my fianceee not be present when i have the children…he has not, but my ex says that my 5 year old says he has…my ex’s bil was arrested for child abuse two weeks ago, after I reported my son’s abuse. Can I bring this up in court as my ex possibly retatliating against me?

I am pro se, so whats the worst I can expect? Jail time? A fine?