Bad Settlement Agreement

Unfortunately you may not have many options, however you should have the agreement reviewed by an attorney to see if there is any provision in the agreement that would offer you relief from this situation.

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Durham & Chapel Hill Office
1829 East Franklin Street
Building 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 321.0780

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

Really hope you can advise me on how to handle this. To start, in June 2007, I was granted a absolut Divorce in Fayetteville NC (none contested). Prior to that (May 2007) my ex-wife created a settlement agreement herself, which I agreed at the time (without Atty review) to sign due to just wanting to move on with divorce. The agreement stated I was to pay 100 percent of all bills made during the marriage as well as the Mortgage on the home a total of ($2500) I only make ($3500) a month I have $1000 to live off . I also agreed (in the settlement) to remove myself from all rights on the house and give her full rights to sell, rent or do as she pleased with home (even though I agreed to make payments). Well, she has moved out of the house to another state (nothing in agreement about this) and is starting a new life with another beau. All of our children are grown so this is not an issue. I’m broke and desperate what can I do. No Atty reviewed agreement (I know, big mistake) it was just notarized by a notary that’s all. What options do I have???