Bank accounts are in his name

Dear transientmom:

Greetings. Yes, you can file an action in your state and county of residence asking the court to restrain him from spending the funds in any account which either of you own. All income received during the marriage is marital, regardless of who made it. Best of luck!

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney at Law
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607

The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

Call me stupid, but our bank accounts – the primary checking and savings – are in my husband’s name. He is a financial type and I am not so that was always okay with me and I trusted him with those things. I am concerned because as I mentioned in another post he has been visiting prostitutes and gambling a lot. Lots of ATM withdrawals - $3,000 in May and June. Is there anything I can do about this? He also recently opened a new account in his new location (KY) in his name alone and has changed his salary direct deposit to that account. Short of illegally moving the money via the telephone or online banking systems (I know his passwords), what can I do?

Thank you. This is a wonderful site. I am on a short time frame to learn a lot.