Bastardizing a child

Well, her husbands name shouldn’t have ever been put on the BC. You said she had the baby BEFORE they got married. So, the father’s name should have gone on the BC- not the husband’s.

I don’t know the ins and out of changing a birth certificate, but it seems the fathers name needs to be put on the certificate.

she and the baby’s biological father were not together. He broke up with her when he was being deployed to Iraq. They quit speaking and he wanted nothing to with the baby. She started dating someone else and he said he wanted to take care of the child as if it were his own. There are a lot of people that do this. There is nothing in the law to keep him from putting his name on the birth certificate, all they had to do is fill out some paper work. All of this is really beside the point. She needs to know how to have his name removed from the BC as per her husbands attorneys request.

cindy launderville

He knowingly put his name on a birth certificate knowing that the child was not his. That might very well change the whole thing.

I’m interested to see what the attorney has to say for this one. How sad for that child.

thankfully, my daughter and the biological father are back together and doing well. That is why she needs to know how to go about getting the name taken off. They want to have his real fathers put on, besides the fact, she got the letter from the attorney telling her she has 60 days to remove the name.

cindy launderville

There is a question concerning changing a certificate. You should probably call them.

The biological father can file a petition for legitimation which will make the child legally his in the eyes of the law.

P.S. Please feel free to bring up this or any other topic on our live call-in show every Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. EST. Visit for details

Helena M. Nevicosi
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.787.6361 main fax

Charlotte Office
301 McCullough Drive
Suite 510
Charlotte, NC 28262
Main Phone: (704)307.4600
Main Fax: (704) 9343.0044

Sutton Station
5826 Fayetteville Rd. Suite 205
Durham, NC 27713
Phone: (919) 321-0780


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service only, a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action. The information posted on this forum is available for public viewing and is not intended to create an attorney client relationship with any individual. These answers are provided for informational purposes only, a person should consult with their own individual legal counsel before taking any action that could affect their legal rights or obligations.

My daughter became pregnant by her boyfriend 3 yrs ago. They broke up. When she was about 3 months pregnant she started dating another guy. He knew that the child wasnt his. After the birth of her son they got married. His name is on the childs B/C. when he decided he wanted a divorce he had his parents to take the child with their POA to have a paternity test behind my daughters back. Of course like I said, the child is not his. Their divorce is almost final. She received a letter from his attorney informing her that she had 60 days to remove her husbands name from the birth certificate. Isn’t that bastardizing a child? I didn’t think that was legal in North Carolina.

cindy launderville