Dear jenphilippe77:

Greetings. You need to have your new husband/fiance legitimate your child. That is a legal process. You can contact an attorney on how to start the process. Thank you.

Janet L. Fritts
Attorney with Rosen Law Firm

4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 500
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
919.787.6668 main phone
919.256.1665 direct fax

301 McCullough Drive Suite 510
Charlotte, North Carolina 28262
704.644.2831 main voice
704.307.4595 main fax

1829 East Franklin Street, Bldg 600
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
919.321.0780 main phone
919.787.6668 main fax


The response posted above is based upon the limited factual information made available and is not intended as a full and complete response to the question. The only reliable manner to obtain complete and adequate legal advice is to consult with an attorney, fully explain your situation, and allow the attorney sufficient opportunity to research the applicable law and facts required to render an accurate opinion. The basic information provided above is intended as a public service but a full discussion with an attorney should be undertaken before taking any action.

I need some help with something. My daughter was born while I was legally seperated from my ex. Her father is now my fiance. When she was born I put refused on her birth certificate because I didn’t want my ex husbands name on it. Now in order for me to get her fathers name on her certificate I was told that I have to have a court order. What does this mean?